Gratitude is the greatest gift of well-being.
When I’m spontaneously Grateful, everything in my existence is joyous.
Having experienced the tangled grips of depression I often think about consciousness. Consciousness too is tangled. Much of our happiness is tied to our perception of how things are. Culture is often the instigator of negative first impressions, and feeds on itself becoming a sticky vicious cycle.
Changing our perceptions can bring us closer to well-being, believing we tell ourselves the story of who we are, culture and where we fit in.
Well-being* = Beliefs + Genes + Environment + Life Stage + Chemistry
Tomorrow is the solstice. As we return to the sun, create a new story, fill it with light, and notice how sticky Love is.
*Well-being loosely defined
- Beliefs- how we view ourselves and humanity, our contribution and personal practices as well as our mental constructs. Our innate need to belong has us subscribe to belief systems that mold our thinking. Lest we forget, we make up culture and what we choose to be certain of.
- Genes and DNA- the kit we are born with, our building blocks for physical and biological potential.
- Environment- including the way we were raised, diet/supplements/chemicals, technology, education, exercise, clothing, work, culture, community…
- Life stage- at different phases of our lives we want and are capable of different things. Sometimes we want to ride the dragons…be the dragons…slay all the dragons…watch dragons being slayed…or don’t give a shit about dragons.
- Chemistry- everything we do relies on neurons communicating with one another in the brain by sending chemical or electrical messages. If there is a miscommunication, we may feel or be one putt away from the abyss.